Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Black Friday

So my mom and I decided that we would try our hand at Black Friday shopping this year. It was our first experience, and we decided to go all out. By go all out I mean...we didn't sleep at all! We arrived at Toys R Us at 11:50pm Thanksgiving night and stood in the line that was crazy long. I mean crazy. My first thought..."mom, these people are nuts!" oh wait...we ARE "these people"!

So we eventually made it in to Toys R Us, found what we were looking for...and stood in another crazy long line. We stood...and we stood...and 3 hours after we stepped in Toys R Us we exited with absolutely nothing in hand. We had had enough of that crazy long line! Strike one.

Our next stop... Old Navy. It was supposed to open at 3am...and I wanted to get there on time to get one of those free lego rock band games they were giving away. I don't even own rock band instruments, so I'm not sure why I wanted this other than the fact that it was completely free. By this time we had figured out that waiting in the crazy long line in the freezing cold didn't necessarily pay off. You would eventually make it in the store whether you were in that line or not. So, we waited in my warm car. About 10 minutes before 3 we noticed the crazy long line was disappearing fast. I rolled down the window, and what do you know?? Old Navy isn't opening until 5! Strike 2.

We had another hour before Kohls opened, and our complete lack of sleep was really starting to catch up with us. So I throw in the towel and decide it was time to go home and climb in bed and catch as many z's as that night had left. Well, on the way to take mom back to her car we decided to try to revive this Black Friday shopping once more. We stop at Walmart which was filled with more crazy people! I'm talking about the ones that were standing in line staring at boxes of product wrapped in cellophane that wouldn't even be released for another 2 hours! Crazy. And they were way protective of these products. We called it the evil eye. :)

We finally made it to the opening of Kohls at 4am. We found what we were looking for...and man did we load up!!! The line was about an hour and a half long...but much more pleasant than Toys R Us for some reason. We get checked out and decide that since we had such great luck at Kohls we should try that luck at Target.

Target was nuts. People were parked in the grass, in Cheddars parking lot...everywhere! We made it in, got what I wanted and noticed that the line went all the way to the back of the store. It's a big store!!! That was just a crazy long line I wasn't willing to get in to! So we left. Strike 3.

We were done. Let's just say we'll leave the Black Friday shopping to all the other people out there that can handle a huge lack of sleep! I was still recovering 3 days later. It's sad that one night of shopping had a greater effect on me than having a newborn baby!

5 comments:

  1. That is very similar to what we did that night only we did wait in the lines a Toys R Us and at Wal-Mart to purchase a TV that was in fact on a pallet wrapped in Cellophane! And you're right It was crazy and we were crazy for waiting. We started at midnight at Toys R Us and finally arrived home around 6:30am, Crawled in bed only to be awakend at 10:30 to depart for Dallas. What a weekend!

    Your Cuz Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a technique to black friday shopping. You should have asked a pro like myself. It could have saved you hours and sanity!!!

    *hugs*
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm still paying for that night. Next year, I'm staying in my pajama's and shopping online. I still had a great time, because I was with you.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you tried to go shopping!! LOL So funny!!! I hope you had fun I missed shopping with you this year!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered how your night went! Sorry it wasn't as productive as you had hoped, but I sure enjoyed the play-by-play! I awakened at 4:00 a.m. that morning and wondered if I should venture out or not...thank you for letting me know that my trip would have been in vain! I'm not a shopper...and probably would not have even parked the car! Amanda & Sarah might consider teaching a "How to Successfully Shop on Black Friday" class...

    ReplyDelete